Tuesday, September 16, 2008

30 miles and ten weeks later.....


I did it! After ten weeks of running a 5K every Tuesday night with Jack Quinn's Running Club I finally got my t-shirt. Even better, I ran the entire 5K route without stopping once! I'm so flippin proud of myself. Ok, so here are the gory details.
My wonderful, supportive husband, who has a horrible head cold wanted to bring the baby to come support me as I ran my tenth Tuesday night. It was more difficult to bring the baby, definitely. I had to bring her dinner (oatmeal and peaches, butternut squash and formula), they had to find somewhere to not get in trouble while I ran, and then we had to figure out how to get the baby, husband and myself into the bar and wait to be "shirted" at her bed time. I started off way too fast. I guess I was just excited about running my tenth time, plus, everyone I was running with was zooming past me this way and that. I took particular notice of three chicks wearing heavy perfume. One of which was platinum blonde, had her hair in pigtails and was wearing a running skirt that was way to small for her well endowed behind. Jack Quinn's is a bar, as I've mentioned before, and therefore, the barflys that might be more comfortable standing around inside decide they might get noticed more if they run around outside with the rest of us who are actually serious about running. So this barfly runs past me and I think, "I'm just going to run at my own pace. My goal is to finish without stopping, not to pass people." So I keep it up. I'm running pretty slowly, not passing anyone. But then at the turn around as we are heading up a big hill I see the barflys--walking. I'm still running and run right past them. Yay! What a rush, what a feeling of accomplishment. Then not more than two minutes later they zoom right past me again. They are running way to fast and I wonder if they will be able to keep up the pace. Nope! I pass them again, and again, and finally, as I pass them for the last time I hear one of them say, "shit!" Now that felt good. It felt even better that when I finished and was cooling off with my husband and the baby we waited about 10 minutes before I see those platinum blonde pigtails sail past.

No comments: