Saturday, August 2, 2008

Who the heck am I?


Today I ran my first ever 5K. I sucked, I admit it. I was closer to the back of the pack than to the front. But I am so freakin proud that I actually got out there and did it. I have wondered my whole life, who the heck am I? And now that I'm a mom, without a "real job" I wonder about it even more. Leaving a full time job and becoming a full time mom can really cause an identity crisis. Am I supposed to be like those 1950's housewives who do all the cleaning, make the dinner, and kiss the husband when he comes home? Why aren't I as happy as other moms? Why am I so bored? Why don't I have a group of mommy friends to do things with? All of this pondering has caused me to try anything and do anything to help me find who I am as a mom. I've even tried running. I joined Jack Quinn's running club. Jack Quinn's is an Irish pub downtown where all sorts of people meet every Tuesday evening to run a 5K route. It turns out that I really like it. Even after feeling like I wanted to hurl after running so hard after my race this morning, this afternoon I was saying, I can't wait to try again.

3 comments:

filoli said...

I am SO proud of you! Now we need a picture of you in your race T. 1/2 Marathon here you come...

Jan said...

Wow. Way to go Pii Cat! So proud of you for running that 5K. And why didn't I know you blogged? I can definitely relate to the boredom and the need for mommy friends. I am still searching, looking for those connections too. I do believe the boredom will lessen as our babies grow but I am so glad you are out there finding things to do, things to enjoy.

los cazadores said...

Hey Congratulations, for real...that is awesome! I'm sure once I'm a Mom - hopefully within the next 6 months - that I will be a bumbling idiot of one for a while...

:)

Cindy