Sunday, March 15, 2009

5k on St. Patrick's Day

My first 5k of the year! A couple of weeks ago I thought, oh shit! My race is coming up! I'm only running about once a week! So I kicked my training into high gear for about two weeks, after averaging about twice per week over the winter. I managed to shave off nearly 7 minutes from my first ever 5k from last August, and 5 minutes off of my last 5k last October. I crossed the finish line in 33 minutes! As soon as I crossed the line I thought, next time I'm going to do this in under 30. I think that's a sign that I love running. Here's another great thing: it only took me about 3 minutes of cool down after the race to go from, "I think I'm going to barf" to "Wow, I'm feeling great!" This race was awesome in that there were so many people running and it was a beautiful sunny morning, though 32 degrees. This race could have been a lot better if there were more support people cheering the runners on on the sidelines, and if the mile markers had been more visible. I'm really proud of myself for pushing all the way down the home-stretch. I started passing people left and right after the last turn. My nerves were so bad, though. I think my stomach and all of it's butterflies started pressing up into my lungs and taking up all of my lung space. I could barely breathe and I felt so sick as I sprinted the last block. Boulder Bolder, here I come!



2 comments:

filoli said...

You inspired me! I had to go out last night and try to really run a 5k.

I am so glad you did this race!

Congratulations!

Confessions said...

Thanks! I'm glad I can be inspiring, even if my time is only 33 min. and I have never run longer than an hour!