Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Gratitude

Ok, Filoli, I just read your friends referral blog, which was wonderously wonderful, and now I feel like a total jerk. Yes, that is an ANT, Shane, but that's beside the point. I've had this amazing baby for almost a whole year. I got to feel her every flip and flop in my belly, got to hear her first cry, see her first smile, hear her first laugh, and have gotten to spend almost every moment of her entire life with her. And what have I done? Complained!!! Ok, maybe not entirely. But I have done quite a bit of whining about her fussiness, the loss of freedom, the loss of being soley with my husband, loss, loss, loss! But I have GAINED this incredible human being! and been entirely ungrateful. Filoli, you especially must think I'm a big jerk, sorry. Your friend is over the moon in love with this little person she hasn't even met yet! What incredible love! But in reality: what incredible work. Ok, I'm not complaining, just being realistic. Sometimes we forget what little miracles we are entrusted with everyday and we just go through the motions. Diapers, feedings, crying, crying, crying, what do you want!!!!! But then, there it is! I'm over the moon again because she is laughing hysterically at her papa licking the oatmeal cookie covered egg beater thing.


2 comments:

filoli said...

Never never NEVER thought you were a jerk! Everybody has different paths to parenthood and gets to meet their children at different times.

The effort, love and understanding little people require is overwhelming, shocking, intimidating and can be frankly depressing...but then they laugh at Shane licking a damn egg beater and you realize how amazing and wonderful it all is...

Hey I need to email you about something...we are currently out of our house tonight. In typical E-wood fashion some damn car somewhere hit a power pole and we have had NO electricity since 2 and we just got the call that it will be back...around 10am tomorrow morning...aaaaargh!

and it is freezing...okay CA freezing...but uncomfortably cold without electricity...

filoli said...

I can't stop replaying that video...it is cracking me up!